Scope of Work
Please note that project tasks, costs and schedules may fluctuate due to cost of materials and labor, conditions at the site, unforeseen and/or revised scope, and other factors. Projected budget: $35.7 million
Added scope: Concrete at the front of the school's main office and the gym will be replaced. Landscaping around the campus is being cleaned up and additional landscaping is expected to be installed when seasonally favorable. A new monument sign will be installed at the front entrance to the campus.
- New Field and Track
In September 2018, Hilhi received an all-weather, synthetic turf field to be used for football practices, and soccer and lacrosse practices and games. The field is enclosed by a new seven-lane track and includes spaces for field events. Lighting enables evening use.
Over several phases in the summer of 2019 through summer 2020, Hilhi received more than $11 million in building upgrades and a $3.5 million expansion or upgrade of career-technical education spaces. These renovations resulted in modernized facilities and enhanced learning environments, rejuvenating the Hilhi campus.
- Building Renovations
In academic areas, seismic improvements were made and the concrete floors polished. The front entry vestibule and offices was updated for added security, with Hilhi branding to welcome visitors. Additional security measures included security cameras, card key access, strobes, visual warning inside and outside the building, and a distributed antenna system (DAS).
Performing arts areas were improved with: a remodeled band/performance area and practice room; and acoustical panels, casework, and video projection in the choir room.
The commons and cafeteria area was renewed with power upgrades, new furnishings, a projector and screen, and remodeled restrooms, as well as Hilhi branding. The auditorium received a new projection screen. A media center and career and college readiness office emerged from the remodeled library and book storage areas. Air conditioning and a new sound system was installed in the gym. CTE science labs were upgraded, and the existing health science classrooms were converted to a new weight room.
New ceilings and energy-efficient lighting were added in many areas. Aged roofing was replaced and new rooftop HVAC units installed.
- CTE Infrastructure
Career-technical education spaces were renovated for several programs:
- Automotive – current space extended by 24 feet (approx. 2,000 sq. ft. area)
- Biotech – labs/instruction demonstration area, power and plumbing updates, fume hoods, equipment room, furniture, safety equipment (eyewash and shower), autoclave and centrifuge, commercial refrigerator and freezer, permanent islands to include sinks, air, gas, power and data
- Business – improvements to classrooms BE2 and BE4, adding retractable door between classrooms
- CTE Space (former woodshop) – cleaned out and improved existing woodshop so that future CTE programming can use this space
- Early Childhood – connected and updated existing toilet, renovated kitchenette, added observation window and sink
- Electrical Engineering – overhead power, sound separation from Fab Lab
- Graphic Design – overhead power, sound separation from Fab Lab
- Vet Tech – classroom and storage room improvements
- Parking Lot Reconfiguration
Safer and more efficient traffic flow is expected to result from reconfiguring the parking lot. Designs were made to prioritize safety and efficiency while minimizing project costs.
To go with the improved spaces, Hilhi received new flexible classroom furniture (FFE). Research has shown that flexible furniture enhances student engagement and learning.
Cornerstone Management Group
- New turf field/track/lights: Craig Markus
- Renovations/CTE expansion: Mary Dolan
- Turf field/track/lights: AKS Engineering & Forestry
- Renovations/CTE expansion: BLRB Architects
- Excavation and drainage: Pihl Excavating
- Lights: Lightworks
- Turf: Bernhardt Golf
- Renovations: LCG Pence Construction