Aug. 1, 2019
Photo 1: conversion of health classrooms into a new weight room continues.
Photo 2: renovation of the main office.
Photo 3: renovation of the gym foyer.
Photo 4: the woodshop renovation is nearly complete.
Photo 5: phase 2 work is underway that includes renovation of the media center.
July 18, 2019
Photo 1: an aerial view shows roofing work over the cafeteria/commons area; this work is also taking place over several other buildings.
Photo 2: most of the carpet has been removed in the media center.
Photo 3: the gym has been repainted and ductwork is ready to provide air conditioning once the system is fully connected.
Photo 4: a classroom in the Business Education building is nearly complete and awaiting baseboards that will be installed throughout the building.
Photo 5: a skylight brightens up the hallway of the Business Education building.
Photos 6-8: seismic work in the Creative Arts building includes reinforcing the foundation and the walls, and the HVAC system is being upgraded.
July 11, 2019
Photos 1-3: the Business Education building walls have been painted, the concrete floor exposed and polished, and new LED lighting installed. Work continues to complete the finishing touches.
Photo 4: in the Wood Working building, the floor is being ground to smooth the surface, and will be sealed.
Photo 5: crews work on renovating the Media Center.
Photo 6: ceilings are exposed in the Creative Arts building for HVAC work.
Photos 7 and 8: the Social Studies building and administrative area are also undergoing renovations as part of phase 2.
Photo 9: new HVAC equipment was craned onto rooftops; once installations are complete, they will supply air conditioning and heat to each building.
June 27, 2019
Phase 1 continues through the summer in the business education and administration buildings, as well as in the gym, health room and woodworking building. This work overlaps with phase 2 work that includes the media center, creative arts and social studies buildings, and rooftops.
Photo 1: walls in the business education building have been sheetrocked.
Photo 2: the wrestling room has been freshly painted.
Photo 3: work continues on converting the former health science classrooms into a new weight room.
Photo 4: work in the media center begins.
Photo 5: ductwork and wiring in the creative arts wing has been exposed in advance of renovations
Photo 6: mechanical units have been removed from the roof as they await replacement
Photo 7: a large vacuum is used to suck up gravel from the roof to prepare for repairs and reroofing
June 6, 2019
Work at Hilhi on renovations to the weight room and adding air conditioning to the gym continue as part of phase one.
May 30, 2019
Phase 1 construction continues as work proceeds in several buildings including:
Woodworking Gymnasium Business education
May 16, 2019
HVAC ducts await installation in the gymnasium
May 2, 2019
Classrooms in the business education building are being stripped down in preparation for HVAC ductwork installation and structural reinforcement.
April 17, 2019
Photo 1: scaffolding continues to be built to prepare for roof and HVAC work.
Photo 2: wood barriers like this separate students from active work areas, such as the weight room.
Photo 3: the business education building is closed off for abatement; the tubes help maintain negative air flow so any airborne particles stay in the building.
April 11, 2019
First phase of renovations:
Photo 1: the business education building is being prepared for removal of old floor tiles and abatement.
Photo 2: scaffolding surrounds the Hilhi gym to enable roofing and HVAC upgrades to the building.
April 5, 2019
The business education building is being prepared for renovation.
Jan. 9, 2019 - Concrete Floor Polishing
Old vinyl tiles were removed from the floor and the underlying concrete was polished to a shiny gleam in Hilhi's TechEd classroom 13. The exposed aggregate provides a granite-like look. This was a test case to see how concrete floor polishing, where suitable, would look in future work as part of Hilhi's upcoming renovations.
Jan. 3, 2019 - Phasing Plan
The project manager, Hilhi principal and staff, and the contractor are drafting a phasing plan to stage construction of renovations in four phases comprising specific areas of the school. Once finalized, the phasing plan will be published here. The construction timeline has been bumped up and is expected to start in late March 2019 and continue through August 2020. Classes will be moved as needed to areas not affected by construction.
Oct. 2, 2018 - Neighborhood Meeting
At Hilhi's neighborhood meeting on Oct. 2, architects and project staff presented the proposed design for Hilhi's renovations and took questions from the audience. Among the improvements are:
- Seismic improvements in all academic areas
- Reconfigured parking lots for more efficient traffic flow, and which include lighting and landscaping
- Entry vestibule/administrative area reconfiguration for added security, along with a "facelift" and branding mural
- Commons and cafeteria area facelift, power upgrades, new FFE (furnishings), project and screen
- Media center ceiling lift and FFE; includes relocation of career and counseling center
- Full replacement of aged roofing in specific areas, along with new rooftop units (thermal scanning was performed to determine priority areas)
- New ceilings and energy-efficient lighting in specific areas, as well as some clerestory windows
- Air conditioning in the gym
- Interior repainting
- New finishes in restrooms
Construction is expected to begin by summer 2019, subject to land use and permit approvals, and conclude the end of summer 2020. The land use application, including the proposed design and traffic impact statement, will be submitted by mid-October to the City of Hillsboro for Type 2 administrative review (no public hearing). Neighbors will receive another notice in a few months as part of this process to submit comments to staff; other community members are welcome to submit through the City's process. Before construction begins, the contractor will develop a staging plan, with classrooms relocated as needed, to ensure safe separation of construction while students are attending school.
Audience comments centered around parking lot/traffic concerns and what is being developed for career-technical education (CTE) programs; this is a consolidated summary:
- Parking lots/traffic - concerns were raised about racing, traffic and lighting spillover. Staff expects the reconfiguration will mitigate these issues as traffic flow will be more efficient and landscaping will present deterrents to racing through the parking lots. Parking lot lighting will meet City requirements, with minimum spillover into neighbors' yards, and security lighting will be reviewed to mitigate spillover. A second entry for daily traffic into/off the campus was investigated, but no good alternative was found. A second entry, however, is required by the City for emergency access; SE Palmire Court appears to be the leading candidate at this point.
- CTE programs - Hilhi's programs are being expanded, and bond funding is being used to support their infrastructure, including an additional 2000 sf of space for the auto tech program (one of the District's "magnet" CTE programs). The bond program has budgeted $15 million toward CTE infrastructure across the district; an additional $5.9 million in state Measure 98 funding for the 2017-19 biennium, approved by voters in 2017, also supports expansion of CTE capacity at our schools.
View the neighborhood presentation here.
June 17, 2019: The campus is closed for construction for the summer break; school office relocated to South Meadows Middle School.
March 14, 2019: The side entrance to Hilhi (coming from SE Radcliff Ct) will be closed due to construction from March 20, 2019, through August 2020. Students will need to detour to the front entrance of the school to enter campus.