Transportation Trip Changes in 2019-20
Limitations on Bus Trips in 2019-20
Unfortunately, due to financial and bus driver shortages, Transportation will not be able to honor the same number of activity and athletic trips as they have in past years and their guidelines will be strictly enforced:
- 30-day request deadline with no exception.
- All trips subject to Office for School Performance trip priority and driver availability, regardless of the 30-day deadline.
- No staff or other adult-only trips.
- No trips during morning and afternoon route times.
- Departure guidelines are as follows:
- M,T,Th,F departures must take place after 9 a.m. and arrive back to school by 1:45 p.m.
- W departures must take place after 9:30 a.m. and arrive back to school by 1:15pm.
- M-F no trip departures between 1:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. unless for OSAA-sanctioned athletic league games and Band competitions.
- Up to 12 buses and drivers per day can be accommodated for trips during the above times, including those requiring multiple buses. This limitation also applies to Band, Choir, Drama, Clubs, and Athletics.
- No overnight or extended-hour trips of any kind, including Band, Choir, Drama, Clubs, and Athletics, unless they occur on weekends or other non-school days (Outdoor School is an exception).
- Information on approved motorcoach carriers and their use can be obtained by contacting Denise McMillan or Rian Petrick.
- No box trucks and drivers will be provided, with the exception of Outdoor School.
- After-school activity busing will remain the same for all school-based programs, with the same number of buses as were provided last school year. The departure time will be 4:15 p.m. for elementary schools and 4:45 to 5 p.m. for middle and high schools.
Please note that HSD will no longer provide transportation home for the BLAST program. This has been communicated to Hillsboro Parks and Recreation and they will ensure that parents are aware they will need to pick up their students from school if they choose to participate in the program this year.
HSD will also no longer provide trip transportation for St. Matthews, Hillsboro Parks and Recreation, or any other non-HSD clubs or events.
In the event more than twelve trips are requested for any one day, the following guidelines will be applied to assign priority, as determined by the Office for School Performance:
- At the elementary level:
- Plays, performances, and cultural events
- Tillamook Forest
- Hagg Lake (for the release of fish)
- Outdoor School
- At the secondary level:
- Cultural and diversity clubs, groups, and events
- CTE classes and events
- Band, Choirs, and Drama
Transportation has two 15-foot box trucks available that staff may use for a fee. For more information, please contact Transportation at 503-844-1123.
Transportation would love to be able to accommodate all trip requests, but it simply isn’t possible. Thank you so much for understanding and abiding by these guidelines.