Proposed Hilhi Renovations
Scope of Work
Please note that project tasks, costs and schedules may fluctuate due to cost of materials and labor, conditions at the site, unforeseen and/or revised scope, and other factors. Projected budget: $31.1 million
Construction projects for summer 2019 include a number of renovations to the Hilhi building. Hilhi will receive an $11 million facelift and a $3.5 million expansion or upgrade of career-technical education spaces. We expect these projects to provide the Hilhi students and community with modernized facilities and enhanced learning environments. Construction is currently scheduled to begin in late March 2019 , using a phased approach, with completion by August 2020 or earlier.
- Building Renovations
In academic areas, seismic improvements will be made and the concrete floors polished. The front entry vestibule and offices will be updated for added security, with Hilhi branding to welcome visitors. Additional security measures include security cameras, card key access, strobes, visual warning inside and outside the building, and a distributed antenna system (DAS).
Performing arts areas will see improvements including: a remodeled band/performance area and practice room; acoustical panels, casework, and video projection in the choir room; and new PA systems in all performing arts teaching spaces.
The commons and cafeteria area will get a facelift, power upgrades, new furnishings, a projector, and screen. The auditorium will also get a new projection screen. A media center and career and college readiness office will emerge from the remodeled library and book storage areas. Air conditioning and a new sound system will be installed in the gym. Science labs will be upgraded, and the existing health science classrooms will be converted to a weight room.
New ceilings and energy-efficient lighting will be added in many areas. Restrooms will be remodeled, Aged roofing will be replaced and new rooftop HVAC units installed.
- CTE Infrastructure
Career-technical education spaces will be renovated for several programs:
- Automotive – extend current space by 24 feet (approx. 2,000 sq. ft. area)
- Biotech – labs/instruction demonstration area, power and plumbing updates, fume hoods, equipment room, furniture, safety equipment (eyewash and shower), autoclave and centrifuge, commercial refrigerator and freezer, permanent islands to include sinks, air, gas, power and data
- Business – improvements to classrooms BE2 and BE4, adding retractable door between classrooms
- CTE Space (former woodshop) – clean out and improve existing woodshop so that future CTE programming can use this space
- Early Childhood – connect and update existing toilet, renovate kitchenette, add observation window, add sink
- Electrical Engineering – overhead power, sound separation from Fab Lab
- Graphic Design – overhead power, sound separation from Fab Lab
- Vet Tech – classroom and storage room improvements
- Parking Lot Reconfiguration
Safer and more efficient traffic flow is expected to result from reconfiguring the parking lot. Designs are currently being re-evaluated, keeping safety, efficiency and project costs in mind as top considerations.
Flexible Furniture - 2021
To go with the improved spaces, Hilhi will be receiving new flexible furniture (FFE) in summer 2021. Research has shown that flexible furniture enhances student engagement and learning.
- New Field and Track
Hilhi received an all-weather, synthetic turf field to be used for football practices, and soccer and lacrosse practices and games. The field is enclosed by a new seven-lane track and includes spaces for field events. Lighting will enable evening use. This project was completed in September 2018.
Cornerstone Management Group
- New turf field/track/lights: Craig Markus
- Renovations/CTE expansion: Mary Dolan
- Turf field/track/lights: AKS Engineering & Forestry
- Renovations/CTE expansion: BLRB Architects
- Excavation and drainage: Pihl Excavating
- Lights: Lightworks
- Turf: Bernhardt Golf
- Renovations: LCG Pence Construction