Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID)
What is AVID?
AVID, Advancement Via Individual Determination, is a global nonprofit organization dedicated to closing the achievement gap by preparing all students for college and other postsecondary opportunities. Established more than 35 years ago with one teacher in one classroom, AVID today impacts nearly 1.5 million students in 46 states and 16 other countries/territories.
What AVID Does
Simply, AVID trains educators to use proven practices in order to prepare students for success in high school, college, and a career, especially students traditionally underrepresented in higher education.
How AVID Works
AVID brings research‐based strategies and curriculum to educational institutions in elementary, secondary, and higher education. The AVID System annually provides 60,000+ educators with training and methodologies that develop students’ critical thinking, literacy, and math skills across all content areas throughout the entire campus, in what we call Schoolwide AVID.
- Teaches skills and behaviors for academic success
- Provides intensive support with tutorials and strong student/teacher relationships
- Creates a positive peer group for students
- Develops a sense of hope for personal achievement gained through hard work and determination
Learn more about the AVID SYSTEM.
AVID Site Team
Liberty Site Team
- Michelle Kim – Site Team Coordinator
- Greg Timmons – Principal
- Amy Torres – Vice Principal
- Dr. Amanda Ryan-Fear – Vice Principal
- Roger Fink- Dean of Students
- Beth Cook- Social Science Teacher
- Brieanna Douthit- English/TAG Coordinator
- Sharon Kerbs- Spanish/Science Teacher
- Katie Dearing- AVID Class of 2021
- Lindsey Bingham- AVID Class of 2021
- Barbara Kraft- AVID Class of 2020
- Katy Shelton AVID Class of 2018)
- Cari Ventura (AVID Class of 2016)
- Amy Temple- SPED Coordinator
- Laury Rodriguez- SPED, ESL Assistant
- Jaymie Finster- SPED Teacher
- Andrew Hull- Class of 2021
- Jem Wong- Class of 2020
- Viridiana Negrete- Class of 2019
- Carissa Fleming – AVID TOSA
- Becky Kingsmith – District AVID Coordinator
- Bret Davis - Instructional Coach