Principal Kevin Hertel
Kevin Hertel began his educational career in Medford, where he worked as an educational resource teacher at both the middle and high school levels. In 2013, he joined the Hillsboro School District as a special education coordinator at Hilhi. After five years in that position, he became an instructional coach at the school, working with administration to plan and deliver professional development to all staff, and helping individual teachers improve their instructional practices to enhance student outcomes. In the 2018-19 school year, he worked as a teacher on special assignment (TOSA) as both an Autism/support specialist and dean of students, supporting 9th graders. Hertel’s instructional leadership improves outcomes for students who experience disabilities, students who are English learners, and students who struggle in math. He transitioned to his current position in West Linn in 2019.
Assistant Principal Matt Nova
Matt has worked for the District since 2005 when he was a special education teacher in self-contained classrooms at Imlay and Lenox Elementary Schools. In 2007, Matt moved to Evergreen and served as the Life Skills coordinator for seven years. In the 2014-15 school year, Matt moved to the District Office and was a support specialist in the Student Services department, working with school-level teams to increase inclusion opportunities and access to the general curriculum for special needs students. He has been a coordinator in the department for the past four years. Matt looks forward to the opportunity to return to Evergreen and serve in a role where he will interact with and support all students, staff, and families.
- Western Oregon University – 2003; Bachelor of Arts Early Childhood Elementary Education
- Pacific University – 2005; Masters in Special Education
- Concordia University – 2018; Administrative Licensure
- 2 years as an elementary special education at Imlay Elementary and Lenox Elementary
- 7 years as a middle school special education teacher at Evergreen Middle School
- 1 year as student services teacher on special assignment in Hillsboro School District
- 4 years as student services coordinator in Hillsboro School District
Dean of Students Heidi Fuglevand-Fredrick
Ms. Fuglevand-Fredrick is very excited to serve as Dean of students at Evergreen Middle School. This is her ninth year in education and the seventh in the Hillsboro School District where she has been teaching in the Special Education department. Early on, Ms. Fuglevand-Fredrick found ways to connect with the whole school population and is ready to increase student and family engagement while building on Evergreen's current positive culture and climate. She welcomes all voices and encourages your input.
- Portland State University – Masters and Administrative License
- Eastern Washington University– Bachelor of Arts, Special Education
- 2 years Life Skills Teacher, Evergreen Middle School
- 4 years Life Skills Teacher, Liberty High School
- 2 years Special Services, Gresham Barlow School District