The Oregon School Activities Association (OSAA) requires ALL coaches to have ALL certifications current prior to the beginning of the season and valid throughout all seasons during the sport season EACH YEAR.
1. National Federation of High Schools (NFHS) Fundamentals of Coaching
This is an on-line class that takes up to 6 hours to complete. You do not need to do it all in one sitting. It only needs to be done ONCE IN YOUR COACHING CAREER. There is a cost of $50 to take the course. If you were certified through ASEP prior to 2007, you can be “grandfathered” in and exempt from taking the course.
Link to class: NFHS Fundamentals of Coaches
2. Concussion Training (Annual)
Link to free class: NFHS Concussion Test
3. Heat Illness & Hydration Training (every 2 years)
Link to free class: NFHS Heat Illness & Hydration Training
4. Steroid & Performance Enhancing Substances Training (every 4 years)
Link to free class: ODE Steroid & Performance Enhancing Substances Assessment
NFHS Course: Appearance and Performance Enhancing Drugs and Substances (Preferred Course)
5. First Aid/CPR Certification (every 2 years)
Hillsboro School District requires all PAID coaches to have current first aid certification. One of the ways you can meet this requirement is through the NFHS online course.
Link to class: NFHS First Aid Certification