- Hillsboro Online Academy
Safe, Inclusive Schools
March 18, 2020
Dear HSD Community,
This week, our nation was confronted, once again, by acts of violence as well as the murder of members of the Asian Pacific Islander (API) community. It is clear that there continues to be a significant increase in hate and racist acts across our nation against people in Aspian Pacific Islander communities. We also know many of these incidents are underreported.
HSD unreservedly condemns racism in all forms and specific to today, the continued rise of racism towards Asian Pacific Islander communities. We send our deep condolences to the families of those affected and to so many other families and neighborhoods who continue to experience acts of hate, intimidation, threats, and violence.
In the Hillsboro School District, we embrace, celebrate and value the diversity of the district’s students and the community we serve as one of our greatest strengths. All students are entitled to a high-quality educational experience, free from discrimination or harassment based on perceived race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, immigration status or national origin. Our schools and community are places for learning and living without fear or discrimination.
As we prepare to return to in-person learning, it’s extremely important for our students to know that they’re coming back to a safe, nurturing and inclusive environment. We all must work together to support our Asian Pacific Islander students, families and community members by speaking up and reporting discriminatory acts of harassment and violence.Please talk to your student and be aware of their conversations and social media interactions. Please be aware of how students are being treated and how they are feeling. Show them that they are valued, supported and cared for. Our schools and administrators are ready to provide whatever support you need to guide these critically important conversations.
Local resources are listed below for your convenience.
- Oregon Commission on Asian and Pacific Islanders Affairs: https://www.oregon.gov/oac/ocapia/Pages/index.aspx
- City of Portland Resources: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/article/586480
- Asian Pacific Islander Oregon Network: https://www.apano.org/
- Oregon specific resources include: APANO and Portland United Against Hate’s (PUAH) “Resilience to Hate Resource Guide.”
- The Oregon Department of Justice’s Bias Response Hotline at 1-844-924-BIAS, 711 for Oregon Relay,
- StandAgainstHate.Oregon.gov. The “Resilience to Hate Resource Guide” also has references for mental health and victim support resources.
Hillsboro School District