As we transition into our summer break, we are focused on continuing our efforts to conserve resources across the District. The summer break (scheduled for June 19 through August 26, 2019) is a great opportunity for energy savings, especially if we are able to effectively shut our buildings down and take a few extra steps, as outlined below.
In alignment with Resource Conservation Management business practices, we will be doing the following at the district level:
- All school facilities without summer programs or special events will be placed in a modified unoccupied mode.
- Building ventilation systems will still operate for shorter durations and all mechanical heating and cooling set points will be set back and chillers/boilers will be disabled.
- Employees shall only use lighting in Hallways, Gyms, Cafeterias and other large spaces when occupied and not during unoccupied periods.
- Occupied periods shall be defined as those where a majority of building staff is required to be in the building or when groups of students or staff are in attendance in portions of a building (e.g. daycare, performances and games).
Teachers/staff are asked to please ensure these items have been completed prior to leaving for the summer:
- Close drapes and/or blinds to reduce heat loss during the day.
- Turn off all monitors and charging carts.
- Turn off and unplug all classroom PA systems.
- Unplug all personal microwaves.
- Empty all refrigerators, unplug and prop open door.
- Turn off and/or unplug personal printers, projectors, TVs, copiers, coffeepots, radios, power strips not tied to computer equipment, and other devices.
- Make sure all classroom lighting is turned off.
- Turn off and unplug all personal lamps.
- Ensure all light switches are OFF, thus disabling any unintentional use of lighting sensors.
- Make sure no furniture, posters, or bulletin boards are covering HVAC units. All ventilator fans must be exposed to allow for proper air circulation.
Thank you again for helping us be as efficient as possible with our resources. We appreciate your help
in reducing our energy usage during the summer months. By following these instructions, we should be able to achieve a successful summer shutdown!